Skip to main content

Parents: There are no winners in the Shame Game

The Shame Game: An Internet Sensation
Starring the one you say you love the best: Your wanna- be thug son….or perhaps your puberty passionate daughter.
The plot is the same whoever plays the game: Child acts up and you show off on video and prove to the world you aren’t having no mess….not in your house. No way. You will give an old man’s hair cut…beat some ass with a cord, berate and announce new found sexuality….all for the internet fans!
 
The cast: You, the parent, must prove you are the star. Those likes and retweets give you life! The comments are like ratings and the more “go heads, I know that’s right” you get….the better you feel.
 
The co-stars …..you know the ones that did the deed….broke a rule…went off course, otherwise known as your child. They must show full remorse, head bowed, crying….oh now we are talking. Crying is proof of full embarrassment.
 
That rage and despondence and brokenness displayed….will the world ever know if that is remorse for a rule broken or calculation for "the get away" from the craziness the “star” is willing to go to for ratings.
 
The aftermath: This is the story that never makes the ‘net.  After the likes and the comments….maybe even an interview or 2….the co-star must go on living in whatever life brought them to the initial behavior in the 1st place. Yeah, the behavior that got all of the attention. 
 
You don’t get 1 million likes on the drop-outs or the runaways. Hell, some man in another state that hit like is now soliciting the young girl through her new named page.  The bullying, it got worse. Now the kids have even more to come at your co –stars with. 
 
 And finally, the suicides: Those fans with all the comments and cheering of how you went off….they don’t miss work, or sit bedside, or answer the knock on the door from the police when the game is tragically over.
 
Raising children is hard. They do foolish things. They make us angry.  Instead of shame…shower them with praise, cloak them with love, surround them with support.  Be a star in the PARENTING game. This Shame Game…it’s fun while you’re playing. It can be deadly when it’s done. Real talk. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newsflash! Loyalty has an expiration date!! Is it time for some of your relationships to get tossed?

Loyalty is high on my values list. I consider myself a loyal person. I wear that definition with pride. When asked who and what I am…..loyal is always a word I use as a descriptor. I am friends still with my very 1 st best friend and many others from my childhood days…..married 21 years……I show up when I say I will for milestones in the lives of others because being loyal is a verb. It requires action, not just words. As the year winds down and the calendar points us to a reflective and planful place it’s natural to consider the relationships in your life and make some decisions around with whom and how you enter the New Year. So while thinking of this for my own self I had to revisit the definition of loyalty. loy·al adjective 1.     giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution. loy·al·ty noun 1.     the quality of being loyal to someone or something After pondering over this definition and careful consideration of how many time

Cracked, Jacked Ottoman is now Newest Addition to the Family Room! Check her out!

Ok peeps....my neck and arm feel like they may be forever in pain but I think it was worth it! The family room ottoman is complete!!! Woop! Before I give you the deets......a lil background... I hate replacing things I already have! Oil changes and air filter replacements? HATE! New tires? HATE! It feels like such an investment for something you already have.....I know....gotta do it but I hate it! So after 7 years my beloved (and expensive) leather topped ottoman had started to peel. Yup. Nasty! I ignored this for a few months. Even pushed her into the corner for my annual Christmas Eve party. (Nobody puts baby in the corner!!!!) Then as it started to really bother me I started looking for a new table. Problem was.....I really like the one I have! Of course I find one that is out of this world fabulous! This baby here can be yours for $1600. Even if I hit the lottery I wouldn't pay $1600 for a coffee table. (OK, let's be serious....if I hit the lottery that scrumptious

Message to my daughter: From a 15 year old Mom who raised a doctor

Daughter, I stumbled upon this photograph as we prepare for the celebration in honor of your graduation and upcoming surgery residency. I see your fat cheeks and stubborn expression and think some things really don't change. But the 15 year old girl holding you..... I barely recognize. So young....too young, I would say today and mean it. But never afraid and never ashamed. Because I was more concerned with the mighty task at hand.......I had a baby! Oh, boy! (oh, girl....really) So while trying to figure out the redirection of my own life (and making plenty of mistakes I know now) these are the promises I made to you and hope that I have kept them: 1. I will always tell you the truth. As you get older this will prove more difficult but always necessary. It will put me in a position of being your least favorite person at times and that will make me sad and sometimes angry. But I will do it. Because the world will tell you the truth in one way or another and I think it is be