Skip to main content

Early morning cleaning playlist! What is on yours?

This morning, in a casual conversation with my colleague, he mentioned that Dolly Parton was on his playlist for cleaning the house. I said, Ummm Dolly? Really. He went on to say that chipper upbeat music really set the stage for getting your house cleaned. I'm thinking, "9-5? Islands in the Stream? " Ok. While this makes a whole ton of sense it doesn’t reflect any cleaning playlist I am familiar with at all!  

Saturday mornings were a mixed bag at our house and while the tempo may change, one thing was a constant: The cleaning was going to get done. My mother was known for her clean house! There was no sleeping in on that 1st day of freedom from school. Once that light hit you your face through the crack in the curtain your feet better hit the floor. You definitely don’t want moms coming in your room to get you! Oh no! Nothing good will come of that.

See, you could tell a lot just from the hallway. If breakfast was cooking you could get away with a quick vacuum and dust…but somebody was gonna get stuck scraping the grits from the bottom of the pot. And while your stomach started flipping from the wafting aroma of the onions and peppers in the homefries your ears were adjusting to the slow beats of Rick James and Teena Marie’s Fire and Desire. By the time you got to the red phone at the end of the hall outside of the kitchen Teena was loudly proclaiming that she wasn’t, wasn't, wasn't very nice, you know!!!! Sugar, sugar, sugar! Then, there she is…Mom, in front of the stove, mauve lacefront peignoir set dancing with the spoon stir motion, in tune of the now playing Teddy Pendergrass belting to the rest of the sleeping house how good it feels when somebody loves you back! And that’s a fact!!
Mom pauses long enough to give me my assignments, “Girl hurry up and wipe this table down and get it set before everyone gets up so we can eat. Hurry up now.” And just like that you knew, my declaredly single mom wasn’t single on this day and just as I finished the table set and the rest of the family started making their way to the kitchen Natalie Cole was talking about our love being as tall as the trees and we got. our. grub. on! Biscuits too!!
Mom and I, Circa 1971

Now, the hallway doesn’t always tell a "soon to be tasty" tale. OH NO! You could hit the hall and the fumes from the kerosene heater meet you at the same time you are hearing that deep voice telling your soul, “Sometimes a girl, will come and go, You reach for love, but life won’t let you know.. That in the end you’ll still be loving her… But then she’s gone, you’re all alone…”  BABY….by the time you realize it’s the Spinners you know love don’t love nobody and your momma is not in no playing mood and yup…you are going to have to take ALL of the china out of the cabinet for a serious dusting. You do not, I repeat, DO NOT need instructions on this. YOU KNOW THIS. By the time you have dusted the buildup grease from Lennox China commemorative plates and All God’s Children black figurines you heard Blue Magic ask, “What’s come over me” and Enchantment bellowing out to GLORIA that things ain’t been the same since she went away. Mommy does a quality check just as the china cabinet door closes and through the small opening in her mouth that isn’t holding the lit Newport she reminds you that the linen closet is next! Since sucking your teeth is a death sentence and shuffling your feet is a guaranteed trip to the ICU you get to folding, wondering if a quick death from mom is better than whatever those fumes were going to do to you. While folding, AL Green asks, “How do you mend a broken heart” and you know that your “single again mom” is really asking herself how do I keep the heat on for these kids. The fumes weren’t that bad, I guess.

Occasionally, Mom would pick up some overtime or grab a house cleaning gig to pay for some school-envelope item or another and cleaning day got pushed to Sunday. On these mornings, the red hallway carpet with the yellowed plastic runner was more like the soul train disco line as you headed to the living room to start on the screen door cleaning. I got at least two spins and a dip in while agreeing with Cheryl Lynn that I GOT TO BE REAL! Mom stayed close while I did  the screen door cleaning…No streaks allowed because everyone in the neighborhood didn’t have a glass screen door and you have to take care of your shit or you wouldn’t have any! That’s what Mom would say, not me. But on those Sunday mornings she was as beautiful as Lola Falana and ready to join in for a lil hustle with the baby of the bunch! On those mornings she was the most beautiful.  The extra cash did more than pay for the school activity. It loosened the worry that was always lurking and weighed her down. Her dungarees fit just right and I could see the extra earned twenties peeking from her bra through her ribbed tank. We did the bump to A’int no stopping us now and for a few minutes we believed it. I shifted dusting abilities from screen door to glass tables while the Maple Sisters reminded me that I know a place… Ain't nobody cryin'… Ain't nobody worried. We sang for a bit how they would take me there but as I caught a glimpse of Mom lighting the incense on the long, scarred, slim wood holders, a sure sign that the cleaning was finished; I knew I was already there! On those days, definitely ain’t nobody worried. Happy cleaning. Real talk.
Need the playlist, click the link.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1LTDuKEowK6fzq9xDq39PE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Message to my daughter: From a 15 year old Mom who raised a doctor

Daughter, I stumbled upon this photograph as we prepare for the celebration in honor of your graduation and upcoming surgery residency. I see your fat cheeks and stubborn expression and think some things really don't change. But the 15 year old girl holding you..... I barely recognize. So young....too young, I would say today and mean it. But never afraid and never ashamed. Because I was more concerned with the mighty task at hand.......I had a baby! Oh, boy! (oh, girl....really) So while trying to figure out the redirection of my own life (and making plenty of mistakes I know now) these are the promises I made to you and hope that I have kept them: 1. I will always tell you the truth. As you get older this will prove more difficult but always necessary. It will put me in a position of being your least favorite person at times and that will make me sad and sometimes angry. But I will do it. Because the world will tell you the truth in one way or another and I think it is be

Cracked, Jacked Ottoman is now Newest Addition to the Family Room! Check her out!

Ok peeps....my neck and arm feel like they may be forever in pain but I think it was worth it! The family room ottoman is complete!!! Woop! Before I give you the deets......a lil background... I hate replacing things I already have! Oil changes and air filter replacements? HATE! New tires? HATE! It feels like such an investment for something you already have.....I know....gotta do it but I hate it! So after 7 years my beloved (and expensive) leather topped ottoman had started to peel. Yup. Nasty! I ignored this for a few months. Even pushed her into the corner for my annual Christmas Eve party. (Nobody puts baby in the corner!!!!) Then as it started to really bother me I started looking for a new table. Problem was.....I really like the one I have! Of course I find one that is out of this world fabulous! This baby here can be yours for $1600. Even if I hit the lottery I wouldn't pay $1600 for a coffee table. (OK, let's be serious....if I hit the lottery that scrumptious

Newsflash! Loyalty has an expiration date!! Is it time for some of your relationships to get tossed?

Loyalty is high on my values list. I consider myself a loyal person. I wear that definition with pride. When asked who and what I am…..loyal is always a word I use as a descriptor. I am friends still with my very 1 st best friend and many others from my childhood days…..married 21 years……I show up when I say I will for milestones in the lives of others because being loyal is a verb. It requires action, not just words. As the year winds down and the calendar points us to a reflective and planful place it’s natural to consider the relationships in your life and make some decisions around with whom and how you enter the New Year. So while thinking of this for my own self I had to revisit the definition of loyalty. loy·al adjective 1.     giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution. loy·al·ty noun 1.     the quality of being loyal to someone or something After pondering over this definition and careful consideration of how many time