Skip to main content

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES!! COME ON!!

There's a party going on right here....a celebration....to last ..ok, ok, you know the words. And it seems like I am singing that song all the time. We love to entertain. Any occasion is a good enough occasion to celebrate. Sunny day? Let's party. Rainy day? Let's celebrate. The more the merrier.

But this holiday had me feeling anxious. The list was growing longer, folks I didn't know. And I am a worrier. I worry about things that may never happen but I cannot turn it off. Like a pesky leak it just doesn't stop and it seeps into the corners of my mind.

A few years ago we readied the house for a party, our 1st in this home. It was picture perfect down to the napkins and flowers and scented candle in the bathroom. Sometime during the evening the candle was dropped and the toilet seat burned. (even a reader here for the 1st time knows that I cannot make this up) Yes, the brand new house toilet seat cover marred with brown burns! I found this the next day doing my after party assessment and clean up. Lord I talked about this incident. I fumed over it. I was as hot as the flame that burned it! And....I am writing about it now. lol It scarred me more than the seat cover. It wasn't the damage as much as no one telling me. I felt taken advantage of...and occasionally that incident creeps into my mind and lives there, rent free, causing mayhem!

The guest list was growing longer and I was getting anxious. I will watch the pool like a hawk....what if the children can't swim? Ugh. I will watch the floors like a hawk....surely they won't dry off coming in. I will watch the food like a hawk, what if there isn't enough. Finally, I realized....I am not a hawk! lol
And so on this Independence Day I declared my own Independence from worry!

I believe that love is in the details. I like to make everything just so. But sometimes love is in letting go.....and I did. These are a few of the things I tried for the 1st time:

1. Let people bring things. Yep, I said it. It goes against every controlling fiber in my body but it's ok. Let them bring things and make room on the counter for all of it. So what if it doesn't match. Fit it in!

2. Let them take things! Yep....don't hide the foil. Put it out. Help them wrap. My inner dialogue around wrapping things to go has always been muddied. I have been victim to the ferocious wrapper that packs full platters up before the 1st guest arrives and my nerves have been irked ever sense. One bad apple shouldn't keep all that food in my house long past when it's appealing. SO....wrap, and send it off. Double up. At the end of the party it makes clean up so easy!

3. Let the towels hang on the fence and the red cups litter the lawn. I know, I know. The nerves in my neck start to twitch. That is so not what it must look like in Martha Stewart's back yard. But hey, this isn't her back yard and while I do sweep the scene on clean up runs I didn't become my normal obsessed with it and I am still alive today. Amazing! lol

4. Be present. I realize that with all I do to prepare for gatherings I am rarely "present" at them. My mind is on all of the details and possibilities that may need my attention. This time I sat down and stayed awhile. I got to know some new things about a nephew I hadn't see in a while. I made a baby cry and shushed him back to peace. I held my mother's hand. God, when was the last time I did that.

In all of this I remembered the reason I love to entertain so much. While I can get dreamy over the right invite, and I have been know to swoon over table settings, I love my friends and family and want as many opportunities to connect with them as possible. When schedules are hectic I love that our home is always a connection point; a place where it's safe, and fun, and familiar. And yes.......you may even see fresh flowers and a magazine ready cocktail spread! Happy Summer! Let the celebrations continue! Real talk!
Getting ready to fill up. 1st guests have already hopped in the pool

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newsflash! Loyalty has an expiration date!! Is it time for some of your relationships to get tossed?

Loyalty is high on my values list. I consider myself a loyal person. I wear that definition with pride. When asked who and what I am…..loyal is always a word I use as a descriptor. I am friends still with my very 1 st best friend and many others from my childhood days…..married 21 years……I show up when I say I will for milestones in the lives of others because being loyal is a verb. It requires action, not just words. As the year winds down and the calendar points us to a reflective and planful place it’s natural to consider the relationships in your life and make some decisions around with whom and how you enter the New Year. So while thinking of this for my own self I had to revisit the definition of loyalty. loy·al adjective 1.     giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution. loy·al·ty noun 1.     the quality of being loyal to someone or something After pondering over this definition and careful consideration of how many time

Message to my daughter: From a 15 year old Mom who raised a doctor

Daughter, I stumbled upon this photograph as we prepare for the celebration in honor of your graduation and upcoming surgery residency. I see your fat cheeks and stubborn expression and think some things really don't change. But the 15 year old girl holding you..... I barely recognize. So young....too young, I would say today and mean it. But never afraid and never ashamed. Because I was more concerned with the mighty task at hand.......I had a baby! Oh, boy! (oh, girl....really) So while trying to figure out the redirection of my own life (and making plenty of mistakes I know now) these are the promises I made to you and hope that I have kept them: 1. I will always tell you the truth. As you get older this will prove more difficult but always necessary. It will put me in a position of being your least favorite person at times and that will make me sad and sometimes angry. But I will do it. Because the world will tell you the truth in one way or another and I think it is be

Cracked, Jacked Ottoman is now Newest Addition to the Family Room! Check her out!

Ok peeps....my neck and arm feel like they may be forever in pain but I think it was worth it! The family room ottoman is complete!!! Woop! Before I give you the deets......a lil background... I hate replacing things I already have! Oil changes and air filter replacements? HATE! New tires? HATE! It feels like such an investment for something you already have.....I know....gotta do it but I hate it! So after 7 years my beloved (and expensive) leather topped ottoman had started to peel. Yup. Nasty! I ignored this for a few months. Even pushed her into the corner for my annual Christmas Eve party. (Nobody puts baby in the corner!!!!) Then as it started to really bother me I started looking for a new table. Problem was.....I really like the one I have! Of course I find one that is out of this world fabulous! This baby here can be yours for $1600. Even if I hit the lottery I wouldn't pay $1600 for a coffee table. (OK, let's be serious....if I hit the lottery that scrumptious