Skip to main content

C2C! Countdown to College

Oh boy......it's here! How could it be? That little baby you were just reading Goodnight Moon to is packing up and moving on to college and you are..........................FREAKING OUT!

Yup......no other way to put it! It's freak out and melt down time time...... But it's ok. You are not alone! Before you go too far over the edge, congratulate yourself on a job well done! You got them here. A few all nighters (more than a few?......lol) a few scrapes, hurt feelings.....ups, downs....you got them here! And, you have figured out a way to pay for it! (still figuring? That's ok to0!) And now it is settling in.....they are really leaving! WOW!

With all of the hustle and bustle of packing and paperwork and double checking everything here is a list of a few fun and often forgotten things to do............wine drinking does not appear.....but then again, neither does breathing! Both are expected and necessary! Here ya go!!


1. Save a few bucks for giftcards for those places you see around campus that might be saving graces....Starbucks (free wi-fi) Dunkin Donuts...that Caramel Iced is good for study sessions....pizza, etc! Send these to your student when you feel the need to call....trust me they will appreciate this more!

2. Submit the college, awards, scholarship info to your local paper. These are usually free and are great treat to send in the mail to your student! Awwww, proud parent!!

3. Rural or city campus require transportation! Gas card or bus pass? Whatever it is figure out how to get these and send to your student from time to time! Getting there is half the battle!!

4. Pop some money in their pockets! Pants pockets that is! Sneak into the suitcase and pop in a few singles to surprise the brainiac............that lil bonus may be just the trick to brighten their day!!

5. Go ahead.....mark your calendar.....every 30 days or so (at least through Valentine's Day) pop a care pack in the mail. Corny yes.........but snacks go a long way in getting info from dormmates....if it ever comes to that! Wink wink!!

6.Write a letter. Yep..... a letter. In the car, driving home....tissues out! Translate those feelings into words! Write a letter.....letting them know what this time means to you.....gift the letter to your student at graduation!

7. Instagram, Twitpic, Facebook....it's all good but after a long night and a little homesickness, looking at your smartphone just isn't cutting it! But a framed pic on the nightstand can soothe the soul. Go ahead! Frame it!

8. Rather it's your child, a family member, or a student you mentor....everybody needs a one time gimme. A no questions asked help. Write it on a card and put it with their things. Drinking, bad dates, bad dudes, and mean gals.....whatever the problem....call me. I got you. Write it. Give it. And mean it!! No hassle!

9. A roll of quarters please. And.....a crash course on whites and coloreds......clothes people! Clothes!

10. Finally, you've done it all and made the drop. The dynamic in the house has changed and you are sure you have forgotten something.....you reach for the phone....just a quick check..........you dial......A FRIEND! Not your child! NOT YET! Let them settle. Let them learn. Warn your friend in advance so they can talk you off the ledge. Remember the wine and the fine job you have done in preparing them..........and know that  this is a great problem to have: Loving your child so much that it's hard to let go. But because of that love....you will do it and they will show you...they are ready! Real talk! Follow me @realtalknic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Message to my daughter: From a 15 year old Mom who raised a doctor

Daughter, I stumbled upon this photograph as we prepare for the celebration in honor of your graduation and upcoming surgery residency. I see your fat cheeks and stubborn expression and think some things really don't change. But the 15 year old girl holding you..... I barely recognize. So young....too young, I would say today and mean it. But never afraid and never ashamed. Because I was more concerned with the mighty task at hand.......I had a baby! Oh, boy! (oh, girl....really) So while trying to figure out the redirection of my own life (and making plenty of mistakes I know now) these are the promises I made to you and hope that I have kept them: 1. I will always tell you the truth. As you get older this will prove more difficult but always necessary. It will put me in a position of being your least favorite person at times and that will make me sad and sometimes angry. But I will do it. Because the world will tell you the truth in one way or another and I think it is be

Cracked, Jacked Ottoman is now Newest Addition to the Family Room! Check her out!

Ok peeps....my neck and arm feel like they may be forever in pain but I think it was worth it! The family room ottoman is complete!!! Woop! Before I give you the deets......a lil background... I hate replacing things I already have! Oil changes and air filter replacements? HATE! New tires? HATE! It feels like such an investment for something you already have.....I know....gotta do it but I hate it! So after 7 years my beloved (and expensive) leather topped ottoman had started to peel. Yup. Nasty! I ignored this for a few months. Even pushed her into the corner for my annual Christmas Eve party. (Nobody puts baby in the corner!!!!) Then as it started to really bother me I started looking for a new table. Problem was.....I really like the one I have! Of course I find one that is out of this world fabulous! This baby here can be yours for $1600. Even if I hit the lottery I wouldn't pay $1600 for a coffee table. (OK, let's be serious....if I hit the lottery that scrumptious

Newsflash! Loyalty has an expiration date!! Is it time for some of your relationships to get tossed?

Loyalty is high on my values list. I consider myself a loyal person. I wear that definition with pride. When asked who and what I am…..loyal is always a word I use as a descriptor. I am friends still with my very 1 st best friend and many others from my childhood days…..married 21 years……I show up when I say I will for milestones in the lives of others because being loyal is a verb. It requires action, not just words. As the year winds down and the calendar points us to a reflective and planful place it’s natural to consider the relationships in your life and make some decisions around with whom and how you enter the New Year. So while thinking of this for my own self I had to revisit the definition of loyalty. loy·al adjective 1.     giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution. loy·al·ty noun 1.     the quality of being loyal to someone or something After pondering over this definition and careful consideration of how many time