Skip to main content

A tree grows in Winslow

I was just commenting on my need for Spring.....my desire to get in my garden and maybe even do a little composting when the mailman knocked on my door.

Among the packages was a weird note from South Jersey Gas company. Oh boy........what is the problem?

The letter starts with...."perhaps terminating your service will allow you to be as concerned as we are about the issue at your property" ......................what the what? Please read your meter and call us. Oh, I am on it! They do not know who they are sending letters like this to! (disclaimer....I had thrown out a few notes from said Gas Company because they want me to buy insurance from them which I am not interested in) Surely I didn't toss some important note? (right?) Anyhoo......I did what any self respecting, decision making woman would do and instead of grabbing my phone I gave it to the big guy and asked him to call and straighten them out!

2 minutes later I see him go out the front door and in 2 seconds he is calling me! "Nic, I need ya out here!!"

Oh geez........must be big if we have to double team!! Slippers on my feet....out I went! "What is the problem??" Um....welll......this....


Ok, ok.....before I continue, let me just tell you that I am in love with this fat girl right here! Yes I am! I found her at an auction. Yep, an auction. I drove an hour and checked in to get my bid number and then I scoped out what I could use and got ready. I had 2 criteria............that it was alive and that it was CHEAP! I wanted to fill a lot of space and I had very little patience! After grabbing a couple of lots for $15-$20 I figured it was time to go......but this lil Charlie Brown tree kept getting skipped! I snagged her for about $1. She was cheap but had little life at about 24 inches high. She was skinny and scared and she didn't fit in well where ever we put her. My family (read, husband) hated her and one day she was pulled up and set out for recycling. NOT SO FAST! I rescued her again and popped her on the side of the house out of the way.

2 years later I opened my office windows greeted by her wonderful scent. She had made it up to the window sill! She is home to many a chipmunk and even more little birdies. Occasionally she will wiggle a branch into my window to wave hello and remind me she is out there. I love her!! And 2 years more and she has gone on well past the window, the second floor, and well.....covered the Gas Meter. Oh boy!!

SO......back to the present and she is a BEAST! With my husband on the phone I am going in........


Open space above was as good as any....head 1st, hoody up......I pushed and moved and yelled out the meter reading. I could almost feel her laughing at my husband....."remember me? You know the scrawny thing you were gonna toss?" Katy Perry's Roar playing in my head, I started laughing as my husband started planning on her murder. "Gonna have to chop it down, Nic," he warned. I gave him a look of amusement.

She's going nowhere. Perhaps a trim to please the ever so threatening Gas Company. Perhaps a hard pruning....perhaps. As he shook his head in defeat (come on now, he knows he will not win this argument. He couldn't get rid of her when she was a baby....surely can't get rid of her now that she is a force to be reckoned with)  I smiled to myself. This 15 minute crisis had given me just what I was longing for earlier this morning.....a lil bit of Spring and just a touch of my garden. There are no coincidences.....just chances to have your problems solved. Real talk!


Comments

  1. It's amazing how God works! Gave you the desire in your heart! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Newsflash! Loyalty has an expiration date!! Is it time for some of your relationships to get tossed?

Loyalty is high on my values list. I consider myself a loyal person. I wear that definition with pride. When asked who and what I am…..loyal is always a word I use as a descriptor. I am friends still with my very 1 st best friend and many others from my childhood days…..married 21 years……I show up when I say I will for milestones in the lives of others because being loyal is a verb. It requires action, not just words. As the year winds down and the calendar points us to a reflective and planful place it’s natural to consider the relationships in your life and make some decisions around with whom and how you enter the New Year. So while thinking of this for my own self I had to revisit the definition of loyalty. loy·al adjective 1.     giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution. loy·al·ty noun 1.     the quality of being loyal to someone or something After pondering over this definition and careful consideration of how many time

Message to my daughter: From a 15 year old Mom who raised a doctor

Daughter, I stumbled upon this photograph as we prepare for the celebration in honor of your graduation and upcoming surgery residency. I see your fat cheeks and stubborn expression and think some things really don't change. But the 15 year old girl holding you..... I barely recognize. So young....too young, I would say today and mean it. But never afraid and never ashamed. Because I was more concerned with the mighty task at hand.......I had a baby! Oh, boy! (oh, girl....really) So while trying to figure out the redirection of my own life (and making plenty of mistakes I know now) these are the promises I made to you and hope that I have kept them: 1. I will always tell you the truth. As you get older this will prove more difficult but always necessary. It will put me in a position of being your least favorite person at times and that will make me sad and sometimes angry. But I will do it. Because the world will tell you the truth in one way or another and I think it is be

Cracked, Jacked Ottoman is now Newest Addition to the Family Room! Check her out!

Ok peeps....my neck and arm feel like they may be forever in pain but I think it was worth it! The family room ottoman is complete!!! Woop! Before I give you the deets......a lil background... I hate replacing things I already have! Oil changes and air filter replacements? HATE! New tires? HATE! It feels like such an investment for something you already have.....I know....gotta do it but I hate it! So after 7 years my beloved (and expensive) leather topped ottoman had started to peel. Yup. Nasty! I ignored this for a few months. Even pushed her into the corner for my annual Christmas Eve party. (Nobody puts baby in the corner!!!!) Then as it started to really bother me I started looking for a new table. Problem was.....I really like the one I have! Of course I find one that is out of this world fabulous! This baby here can be yours for $1600. Even if I hit the lottery I wouldn't pay $1600 for a coffee table. (OK, let's be serious....if I hit the lottery that scrumptious