Skip to main content

Ebony and Ivory! The blessing that is friendship

I am one lucky girl. I am blessed with women in my life that I can count on, that want the best for me, and that I enjoy. I know it is a blessing because all around me I see examples of what it looks like when that is not the case. It is a curious thing, when relationships go wrong with women, because it starts early!! Like 7-8. All of a sudden someone thinks you think you're cute....or bossy....or...gasp! Conceited. They stop sitting next to you on the bus or at the lunch table. It is crazy because in many instances it has no reason....it is without explanation!

As adults it's just the same. You can be friends with me as long as you stay in your lane......that job.....hmmmm, you fancy now? That house....bougie. No you didn't buy that couch I was looking at......I would laugh because it's funny but I could cry because it's true!

So when I say I am blessed with women in my life that give me the fuel I need to be and do my best....I really do mean blessed. That I am thankful, grateful even, to enjoy the kind of connectedness that keeps you stable even when things around you may not be. My  bracelet of friendship has added a few links here and there but it is still the one I've worn since high school. Some links are polished more often than others but the bonds are so deep that whenever we connect the fit is just right!

Last month I took a trip to Mexico with my bestie.....the Ivory to my Ebony....the driver of this Miss Daisy. We can be an odd couple....she is a bit older...but I am the bossier of the two. She is white and I am black. She leans right and I grab her kicking and screaming left!!!

Our trip was filled with the spoils of a fantastic vacation.....perfect weather...spa days....pretty people...gourmet dinners......add coffee in the morning and margaritas throughout the remainder of the day and what could be better!

But there was something else about the trip that made it fantastic. You couldn't see it....or put your finger on it...but it was in the quiet of being with a person who only wants the best for you.....there is no tab or tally.....no agenda.....just...goodness.

A little over a year ago, she lost her husband of more than 30 years. It has been tough. But she has been tougher. I have watched her like a hawk....my worry and bossy ways prevailing. She looks great....seems ok.....but is she really? Our week together uninterrupted gave me the answer I already knew. She will always be ok because she makes a choice to be happy! To keep it moving! This is why we get along so well.

Of the hundreds of vacation photos and dare I say...FB posts....this pic does more than sum up our Mexico experience. It speaks to me of our friendship.....she doesn't mind pushing me out front.....she will sometimes follow my lead....rusty bikes or rusty life....it is an adventure and she always has my back!! Of all of the things I value most in life her friendship is at the top of that list. They say that friends are the family you choose......I couldn't agree more!  Appreciate life's gifts....not the material ones.....but the ones that cannot be replaced. Real talk people! Realtalk!


Diane and Nicole February 2014 

Isla Mujeres, Mexico


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newsflash! Loyalty has an expiration date!! Is it time for some of your relationships to get tossed?

Loyalty is high on my values list. I consider myself a loyal person. I wear that definition with pride. When asked who and what I am…..loyal is always a word I use as a descriptor. I am friends still with my very 1 st best friend and many others from my childhood days…..married 21 years……I show up when I say I will for milestones in the lives of others because being loyal is a verb. It requires action, not just words. As the year winds down and the calendar points us to a reflective and planful place it’s natural to consider the relationships in your life and make some decisions around with whom and how you enter the New Year. So while thinking of this for my own self I had to revisit the definition of loyalty. loy·al adjective 1.     giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution. loy·al·ty noun 1.     the quality of being loyal to someone or something After pondering over this definition and careful consideration of how many time

Message to my daughter: From a 15 year old Mom who raised a doctor

Daughter, I stumbled upon this photograph as we prepare for the celebration in honor of your graduation and upcoming surgery residency. I see your fat cheeks and stubborn expression and think some things really don't change. But the 15 year old girl holding you..... I barely recognize. So young....too young, I would say today and mean it. But never afraid and never ashamed. Because I was more concerned with the mighty task at hand.......I had a baby! Oh, boy! (oh, girl....really) So while trying to figure out the redirection of my own life (and making plenty of mistakes I know now) these are the promises I made to you and hope that I have kept them: 1. I will always tell you the truth. As you get older this will prove more difficult but always necessary. It will put me in a position of being your least favorite person at times and that will make me sad and sometimes angry. But I will do it. Because the world will tell you the truth in one way or another and I think it is be

Cracked, Jacked Ottoman is now Newest Addition to the Family Room! Check her out!

Ok peeps....my neck and arm feel like they may be forever in pain but I think it was worth it! The family room ottoman is complete!!! Woop! Before I give you the deets......a lil background... I hate replacing things I already have! Oil changes and air filter replacements? HATE! New tires? HATE! It feels like such an investment for something you already have.....I know....gotta do it but I hate it! So after 7 years my beloved (and expensive) leather topped ottoman had started to peel. Yup. Nasty! I ignored this for a few months. Even pushed her into the corner for my annual Christmas Eve party. (Nobody puts baby in the corner!!!!) Then as it started to really bother me I started looking for a new table. Problem was.....I really like the one I have! Of course I find one that is out of this world fabulous! This baby here can be yours for $1600. Even if I hit the lottery I wouldn't pay $1600 for a coffee table. (OK, let's be serious....if I hit the lottery that scrumptious