Skip to main content

Show and Tell! Dr. Corbitt speaks to the Uptown School Girls group

We have a common saying in our house; I can show you better than I can tell you!

It was with that spirit that I brought my daughter, an MD, PhD, to my mentor session with The Young Ladies of Distinction, an empowerment group for girls at the Uptown Middle School in Atlantic City.

Two of the young ladies met us at the front door of the school building. They were easily recognized by their purple pashmina scarves....a special treat to the uniform policy. Bright smiles and firm handshakes welcomed us and beckoned us to follow.

The building was bustling with end of the day announcements and activity bells! These girls were as focused as if it were the beginning of the day!

We started our meeting by listening to them say their creed in unison. Words of empowerment about their worth, their actions, their future were like music to my ears. To see them is to believe them. These girls mean business.

I had previously arranged a tour at the world famous toy store FAO in NY for the girls and we spent our first few minutes recapping their trip! The were filled with stories of the big city and gratitude.
YLOD in Times Square!
Then, I spoke to the girls about their own brand and about how important every action they take now will have on their future. They were attentive and all the way "leaned in!" We did an activity around being a champion for ones self and the other members of the group and it really was an exercise to learn more about the hopes and dreams of the girls and allow them to practice public speaking.

Mixed in the conversation on great brands, and favorite pastimes, a few of the girls expressed interest in medicine.

 My daughter joined in the conversation....full of affirmations. When we took the group picture she looked more like them than the profession I know to be hers. When she said JayZ was her favorite rapper they really took a shine to her.

What happened next brought tears to my eyes and filled my heart. Their adviser, Mrs. Jackson, a gifted teacher and nurturing caregiver to these girls, casually pulled up Google and typed in my daughter's name. On their pull down screen in front of the class she showed up in her white coat and all of her credentials. She talked to them about how long and what it takes to really be a scientist and or a physician. She had them visualize what it would look like, how old would they be, what they need to do. More than anything.....she looked like them. She went to public school just like them. She was brought up with their city as a place she knows. If she is what a doctor looks like then so are they!   Showing them was better than telling them!


We wrapped things up with a real practice session. Natasha, yikes...Dr. Corbitt, pulled out her stethoscope and let the girls come over and have a listen. She answered their thoughtful and provoking questions. She listened.

I gave out a bit of swag and did my firm handshakes goodbye. I was composed and proper but I wanted to kick and shout. These girls shine so bright I need to shield my eyes. The added bonus was seeing my daughter in this setting.....wow. I've always known how smart she is and how good she is at her job....but in that setting I saw why pediatric surgery is her specialty. She really has a way with the kids.

I look forward to this dedicated time with these young people like it was the most important thing I have to do. It may seem like time I am giving them....in truth....they are giving me the gift of sight...into a beautiful future where girls can do and be anything! I look forward to them showing me better than I can tell you here. And that is real talk!

If you are reading this and are inspired by these girls in the way that I am give the gift of your time to a young person where you live! Every flower needs a lil water to show it's bloom! 

Comments

  1. wow. What a special gift, not just for one person but everyone involved. You never know how a moment like this can affect someone's life years later. Just like for Natasha.. when she first watched the doctors and nurses taking care of her brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great work with these young ladies continues with the next generation! Congrats, as always, Nicole and Natasha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Message to my daughter: From a 15 year old Mom who raised a doctor

Daughter, I stumbled upon this photograph as we prepare for the celebration in honor of your graduation and upcoming surgery residency. I see your fat cheeks and stubborn expression and think some things really don't change. But the 15 year old girl holding you..... I barely recognize. So young....too young, I would say today and mean it. But never afraid and never ashamed. Because I was more concerned with the mighty task at hand.......I had a baby! Oh, boy! (oh, girl....really) So while trying to figure out the redirection of my own life (and making plenty of mistakes I know now) these are the promises I made to you and hope that I have kept them: 1. I will always tell you the truth. As you get older this will prove more difficult but always necessary. It will put me in a position of being your least favorite person at times and that will make me sad and sometimes angry. But I will do it. Because the world will tell you the truth in one way or another and I think it is be

Cracked, Jacked Ottoman is now Newest Addition to the Family Room! Check her out!

Ok peeps....my neck and arm feel like they may be forever in pain but I think it was worth it! The family room ottoman is complete!!! Woop! Before I give you the deets......a lil background... I hate replacing things I already have! Oil changes and air filter replacements? HATE! New tires? HATE! It feels like such an investment for something you already have.....I know....gotta do it but I hate it! So after 7 years my beloved (and expensive) leather topped ottoman had started to peel. Yup. Nasty! I ignored this for a few months. Even pushed her into the corner for my annual Christmas Eve party. (Nobody puts baby in the corner!!!!) Then as it started to really bother me I started looking for a new table. Problem was.....I really like the one I have! Of course I find one that is out of this world fabulous! This baby here can be yours for $1600. Even if I hit the lottery I wouldn't pay $1600 for a coffee table. (OK, let's be serious....if I hit the lottery that scrumptious

Newsflash! Loyalty has an expiration date!! Is it time for some of your relationships to get tossed?

Loyalty is high on my values list. I consider myself a loyal person. I wear that definition with pride. When asked who and what I am…..loyal is always a word I use as a descriptor. I am friends still with my very 1 st best friend and many others from my childhood days…..married 21 years……I show up when I say I will for milestones in the lives of others because being loyal is a verb. It requires action, not just words. As the year winds down and the calendar points us to a reflective and planful place it’s natural to consider the relationships in your life and make some decisions around with whom and how you enter the New Year. So while thinking of this for my own self I had to revisit the definition of loyalty. loy·al adjective 1.     giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution. loy·al·ty noun 1.     the quality of being loyal to someone or something After pondering over this definition and careful consideration of how many time